Thursday, October 18, 2012

January 2013 Solicits

The DC solicits for January 2013 have come out right and are available in many many places. Here is a link to CBR's coverage to see all of the month's books: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41656

I guess the big 'surprise' of this month is the announcement that 4 titles are being cancelled (more on that later). I suppose that these lower selling titles were given their shot to find an audience which just never materialized.

As for the Super-titles, we will be in the midst of H'El on Earth in January so issue solicits are intriguing.


SUPERGIRL #16
Written by MIKE JOHNSON
Art and cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
• The “H’EL ON EARTH” crossover event continues!
• The assault on the Fortress of Solitude rages on!
• Supergirl finds herself having to defend H’El from Superman, Superboy and the Justice League!


So I will hold out hope that H'El on Earth will be some sort of major turning point in Supergirl's life. My hope is she starts out thinking that H'El can recreate Krypton and therefore sides with him only to realize it is a pact with the devil. I will keep my fingers crossed than when H'El ends, she'll have further embraced Earth and has become closer with Kal.

So an issue which basically sounds like she fights the JLA sounds a bit like a Loeb/Churchill issue. But this is a middle chapter ... so I won't fret too much. 



ACTION COMICS #16
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Backup story written by SHOLLY FISCH
Art by RAGS MORALES and MARK PROPST
Backup story art by CHRIS SPROUSE and KARL STORY
Cover by RAGS MORALES
Variant cover by PASCUAL FERRY

The Man of Steel vs. the worst foe the multiverse has ever seen: Superdoom, a demon Superman from an alternate universe!
• With the Little Man’s true identity revealed, learn more about his plan and why he hates Superman so much.
• And in the backup story, a spotlight on a key moment from Superman’s climactic battle with the Anti-Superman Army!


I have loved Morrison's run on Action and I can't believe the penultimate issue has been solicited. I don't want this to end. 

Back when I reviewed Action Comics #9 I hoped that the E1 Superman was going to be a good enough and pure enough to defeat the 'SuperDoom' that was trapped between dimensions. I should have known that Morrison would do the right thing.

I guess this also means that this is the penultimate Sholly Fisch story as well.

Will this 1.5 year long epic be wrapped up in a satisfactory way? I hope.  


SUPERMAN #16
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
1:25 B&W Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
 

• The “H’EL ON EARTH” crossover event takes a shocking turn!
• Guest-starring THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!
• The Man of Steel leads Wonder Woman, Batman, Cyborg, the Flash and Superboy on the final assault on the Fortress of Solitude!
• Can Superman stop H’El when Supergirl is standing in the way?


Three things about this solicit. One, I know he isn't for everybody but I think Kenneth Rocafort is just spectacular.

Two, why is Superman in the 'throwback' shirt and jeans?

And three, Superman is leading Superboy?? I suppose I knew this was coming with all the 'Supergirl wants to kill Superboy', 'Superman will side with one of the supers', etc. So I guess I just have to swallow a month of Supergirl as villain and keep the faith that she'll come out okay on the other side.



SUPERBOY #16
Written by TOM DeFALCO
Art by R.B. SILVA and ROB LEAN
Cover by TYLER KIRKHAM and BATT
• The “H’EL ON EARTH” crossover event continues!
• Don’t miss the assault on the Fortress of Solitude!
• Superboy and Superman turn to the Justice League for help — to evict H’El from Superman’s own home!


Well, now I have to ask why Superboy is in the Kryptonian armor that Superman usually wears. And I can't imagine Batman ever easily teaming up with such an unknown quantity as Superboy.

I've been around long enough to have read other assaults on the Fortress. It is never easy. 



SUPERBOY ANNUAL #1
Written by TOM DeFALCO
Art by YVEL GUICHET
Cover by EDDIE BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA
• As the battle to stop H’El rages on, Superman learns the truth about just what Superboy is...But is it the whole truth?
• Rose Wilson of The Ravagers crashes back into Superboy’s life — and she’s got some dangerous new ideas about his destiny!
• And if you thought the drama between Superboy and Superman was intense...Just wait until Rose’s father enters the mix!


Hooray for Rose appearing again in the Superboy book. I definitely think that Rose was the high point of the early issues of the Superboy comic. Too bad RB Silva isn't drawing this because I loved his Rose. 

And again, Superboy in the armor, Superman in the t shirt. Hmmm ... 




SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 #9
Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER • Art by JORGE JIMENEZ
Cover by SCOTT KOLINS
• The first time in print for these digital-first stories.
• An old friend returns to the series with a new look. What terrible secret is he carrying?
• The secret of “Earth Two” Chloe is revealed.


First Batman guest starred. Now, what appears to be the Flash is in this issue. Now on the show, I believe the Flash was Bart Allen. Could the terrible secret be some clue about the upcoming Crisis?? Maybe that he is dying (like the pre-Crisis Wally West)?

No complaints about Smallville. The comic has been more consistently entertaining than the show.  



SUPERMAN FAMILY ADVENTURES #9
Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Art and cover by ART BALTAZAR
• The mysterious Brainiac arrives! Is he an alien, a robot, or both?!
• Will he shrink Metropolis with his shrinking ray?
• How did he find the Fortress of Solitude anyway?
• Find out in this epic issue!


 I like how the Brainiac on the cover is a mash-up of the old school green/purple Brainiac and the silver skullish Brainiac. 

I hope we get to see the whole family go into battle!



WORLDS’ FINEST #8
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art by KEVIN MAGUIRE, GEORGE PEREZ and SANDRA HOPE
Cover by KEVIN MAGUIRE
1:25 B and W Variant cover by KEVIN MAGUIRE
• Power Girl and Huntress have been searching for a connection to their world, Earth 2, for years, but now they’ve kicked a hornet’s nest of trouble — and the hunters become the hunted!


I was kind of let down with the last issue of Worlds' Finest. So I am hoping the book rebounds and moves forward a bit.

Nice cover by Maguire. And I do hope that more of the E2 mystery is revealed. That said, the whole point of the book is that the two are on Earth 1. I can't imagine they will be returning to Earth 2 any time soon. So I hope other plots work their way into the book.



LEGION LOST #16
Written by TOM DeFALCO
Art by ANDRES GUINALDO and MARK IRWIN
Cover by TYLER KIRKHAM and BATT
• FINAL ISSUE
• Superboy and The Ravagers guest-star!
• In order to save billions of lives, the Lost Legionnaires must decide if they are willing to sacrifice millions when they detonate a bomb that will destroy the alien machine from Daggor!
• Plus, more on the origin of Harvest!


Well, one of the books cancelled is Legion Lost. As I have said in reviews, the book (despite having 2 of my favorite Legionnaires and Pete Woods on art) just never really grabbed me. The current market seems like it can barely sustain one LSH book let alone two.

I hope that none of these Legionnaires 'die' here. It would be a shame to have them be unavailable in the main title.

More Harvest origin? He has to be Captain Adym somehow time looped.

Even in this last issue, we have Superboy and the Ravagers. It seems like some of these titles are on mutual life support. I hope DeFalco is able to bring all these individual stories to a close.


 Anyways, looks like a busy month. 

6 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

When I was pulling together all the Wonder Woman solicitations this month, of which there were plenty enough as is, hitting her appearances in H'el on Earth liked to've killed me. Rockafort draws her nice, though.

Gene said...

Anj wrote:
"Two, why is Superman in the 'throwback' shirt and jeans?"

Well you see when Superman offered to help cousin Kara in any way possible, he did not count on her and the shirtless boyfriend to move into the fortress before forcibly evicting him without a change of clothes. Kids today... :P

"Nice cover by Maguire."

Agreed. Her hairstyle looks so much better on that cover.

Anj said...

I have always liked Rocafort so look forward to his Superman work.

WW is a bit everywhere that month, huh!

PRgirl1294 said...

I think the reason why Superman is in the jeans and T-shirt and Superboy is in the Kryptonian armor is because Superman gave the armor to Superboy in order to save his life and heal him (remember that in Superboy #15, Superboy is dying from his wounds from fighting H'el). I'm pretty sure that this is temporary and that when this is over, Superman will get his armor back and Superboy will go back to his Tron suit.

Kandou Erik said...

I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere, and its probably going to determine wether I continue reading Superman (the adjectivelss title - not stuff like Action Comics).

Is the series going to be done in a way, so people can just follow along in the pages of Superman? Because all I'm seeing an a direct inter-connected crossover -- trying to force me to buy more issues; which will have the decidedly opposite effect.

Anj said...

I don't know if it will be stand-alone once Diggle takes over Action. They haven't talked about the titles being connected so I don't think they will be.