Monday, September 1, 2014

Boston Comic Con Recap #3: Cat Staggs Commission


I can't believe that Boston Comic Con was only a month ago because it feels like much longer!

Behold this most excellent commission I was able to grab from Smallville cover artist Cat Staggs.

As many know, I am a huge fan of the Smallville comic and Staggs covers are a big part of the feel of the book. So she was on the short list of commissions that I was hoping to grab and was thrilled to be able to get on her list.

My commissions are almost exclusively of Supergirl in the Matrix costume with full shirt and red skirt. But I have begun to stray a little bit from that, picking and choosing when to get something different.

I am a big fan of Staggs' design for the Smallville Kara and talked about it when I first saw it. At the con, I told her I was torn between getting the Matrix Supergirl or her design as a commission. Staggs said no one had ever commissioned her to do her Supergirl design. In my mind that sealed the deal.

There is a lot to like about this costume and commission. I like that this is a full shirt and pants. Somehow these being pants make the kneecap-less boots easier to tolerate for me. I love the duster style coat from the hips as opposed to a cape. And the shades of blue mirror Superman's costume in Smallville conveying some familial continuity. So .. beautiful.

But this commissions is wonderful as well with it's pensive Supergirl looking away. At times I think it is angelic. At times I think she is sad. Other times I think she is just basking in the sun in deep thought. Since it seems to invoke different feelings, I tend to look at this one more than most.

It is just fantastic! Thanks to Cat Staggs for letting me add this beautiful piece to my collection.

One more commission to share ... next week.

6 comments:

Bartiemus said...

I really like that design! I wonder when New 52 Supergirl will master the superpower of wearing pants?

If the new look and tone for Batgirl is a success hopefully Kara can get a new costume to.

Count Drunkula said...

At a glance, I would say... Superwoman. Early to mid-30s. Professional. In a committed relationship but there's some baggage, some trust issues.

This is a Kara Zor-El that never left Krypton or Kandor.

Anj said...

Thanks for comments!

And very interesting take on the commission Count. I can see everything you say in that picture!

Anonymous said...

Frank here, reading on the train. Love this artist's work, and that's a nifty Supergirl design to boot!

Anonymous said...

So, no one that I have seen likes the New 52 supergirl costume. Why exactly is DC staying with it? They should either return to the classic Helen Slater blue top, red skirt, and red boots or the 70s hot pants uniform.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful comission. My favorite SG costumes are Matrix and the Hotpants one, but I really like this outfit.

"So, no one that I have seen likes the New 52 supergirl costume. Why exactly is DC staying with it? They should either return to the classic Helen Slater blue top, red skirt, and red boots or the 70s hot pants uniform."

I have actually seen people liking it. Ironically, now Kara dons again her classic Helen Slater costume, a number of fans have complained about it.