Saturday, February 21, 2015

Supergirl Show: Alura Has Been Cast



 There has been lots of news coming out about the Supergirl television show, everything from leaked audition tapes to confirmation that a cape will be part of her suit. I have yet to hear anything that seems off.

But yesterday some official news broke and it is fabulous! Iybwas announced yesterday that Laura Benanti will be playing Alura! Here is the link from Deadline: http://deadline.com/2015/02/laura-benanti-supergirl-mom-pilot-greg-berlanti-cbs-1201377441/

And the blurb:
Nashville standout Laura Benanti has been cast in key recurring role in the CBS pilot Supergirl. She will play Alura Zor-El, the birth mother of Kara (Melissa Benoist). A strong noblewoman, Alura sends Kara to Earth to escape Krypton’s destruction. Her wisdom and guidance echoes across space and time, proving invaluable on Kara’s journey toward becoming Supergirl. 

Now there is a lot that I like about this announcement.

First off, I love that Alura will have a recurring role in the show. Alura has been a much more important part of Supergirl's life in recent years. It all started when Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle made her a key part of their run. And more recently Tony Bedard had Alura be a protectorate of Argo City, a peace officer. So to have that relationship highlighted in the show is wonderful.  I think it is great that Kara's role model is her mother, a strong woman in her own right. (Although I hope that the Danvers are a key part to the show as well. And I hope that Alura is not some semisentient interactive hologram computer like Jor-El has been in other places. Leave her to flashbacks or video diary entries.)

But secondly, I love the casting!

Benanti is a talent. She is the only actress I know who has made me feel the tiniest twinge of compassion for the Baroness in The Sound of Music (she played her on the NBC live version as seen above). I actually semi-understood why the Captain might like her! And I have never felt that way before. So you know Benanti has some acting chops!

It also adds this nice little wrinkle of another singer in the cast. Could a musical episode happen? (Maybe Season 3.)

And she looks the part. Regal. Strong. And she looks like Melissa "Supergirl" Benoist ... she could be her mother!

So far I think producers Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler are producing gold! what do you think of the casting?

4 comments:

Gene said...

Never heard of her before now, but she sounds promising.

Martin Gray said...

I don't know her either, but she looks smart, and I'm all for singers! And you know where I stand on dead parents in these shows - I switch off for interactive, all-wise holograms.

Anonymous said...

Most probably we´ll be getting the "Survival Zone" tale from 1964 and yes, both her parents will turn out to be just fine again, no matter how much that will irk and burn under the skin of Didio. (snicker)
BTW is that Dan having a seizure & a heart failure because the work of his entire life is going down the drain in just 6 months? oh, my!

LMAO

Thank you CBS- Mr. B./Ms. A.

DAVID (Our time is beginning)

Anonymous said...

It will also be great if clark and lois are canon married in ths cbs dc universe haha