Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Review: DC Bombshells #3


Supergirl isn't exactly appearing all over the DCU these days so I head to the titles she is starring in to get my Kara fix. Unfortunately this month, she is absent in both books she is a part of the cast. First JLA 3001 gave us a Flash-centric issue. Now DCU Bombshells #3 concentrates more on the other plots moving forward.

This isn't a knock against the book. I find this title, written by Marguerite Bennett, to be something of a revelation, bringing new and interesting takes on the female heroes of the DCU. Remember, I grew up reading All-Star Squadron. I don't mind seeing the DCU heroes mixing it up in WWII.

And while I am most interested in seeing the character development of this Soviet Supergirl, the Batwoman story runs a close second. Kate really shines in this issue. And the Zatanna storyline and the Wonder Woman/Mera plot both move forward nicely here, mixing action and plot progression.

The art nicely complements the stories as well. Marguerite Sauvage continues to bring a wonderful sense of 40's style to the Batwoman portion of the issue. There is a seductive panache to those pages. Meanwhile, Laura Braga brings an inky eerie feel to the Zatanna pieces, well-suited for the black magic happening there. And Garry Brown brings a sensible house style to the Wonder Woman war piece, a throwback to classic DC.

This won't be a full blown review. So buckle in.


As I said, I can't get enough of the feisty Batwoman in this series.

The opening riff is Batwoman beating up a Nazi who is helping the Reich round up Jewish families.

A lesbian Jew beating up a Nazi with a baseball bat. Love it.

And we get the beginning of the 'League of Batgirl' plot with Harper Row pitching in a bit and becoming inspired.


And the Kate/Maggie relationship is just great. I thought this was a touching page with Maggie breaking down as Kate is sent to the front.

This I thought was a great page, sort of evocative of war movies from the 40's. Love the window progression in the upper panels.


Kate gets brought by Amanda Waller to a sub where the Bombshells will be brought to the front.

And we meet two more team mates.

I like Dr. Light as the techrat of the team.

But I love the Barda design, especially that crazy hat! When do I get to see this Barda in action??

Kate's next mission, to find Catwoman. I wonder if there will be some romantic sparks there?


The Zatanna and Joker's Daughter segment is pretty creepy. Using Zatanna's magic, Hitler is able to summon some sort of inky demon who will help the Reich.

I think Zatanna is a reluctant assistant here. We know the Joker's Daughter has a hold over her.

Braga's art is just perfect for this section.


Lastly, the Wonder Woman and Mera portion is a nice segment, split in two parts. One is a discussion between Diana and Mera about Diana's attraction to Steve.

Mera is a bit hardcore here, advising that they should kill the injure Trevor, put him out of his misery. But Diana talks of compassion, differentiating herself from the gods and her mother. This is Diana, an ambassador of peace and love first, a warrior second.

The sword is sheathed.


But then when they make land, Diana and Mera encounter a Nazi patrol and just pummel the Germans, destroying tanks and bashing the troops.

Diana might be an ambassador of peace, but she is also an Amazonian warrior when she needs to be.

Right behind the German patrol are Americans led by General Sam Lane. He knows a Bombshell when he sees one.

I am really enjoying this comic. I am not always a fan of Elseworlds but this one seems to be a complete universe with a great set of unique characters. The different artists work for the different arcs. And Batwoman is too fantastic.

Overall grade: A

3 comments:

Martin Gray said...

I read this digitally, I think I'd find the different artists a little jarring, following on from one another in a comic. I'm enjoying the stories, with only the Zatanna chapters failing to hit the mark ... all that Joker's Daughter rubbish, and singing in German!

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Grant Morrison did leave seven secret Earths in his Multiversity Guidebook unknown. I'd rather Bombshells become one of these Earths, it would fit in with the timelines of several of the other Earths, too.

Arion said...

I haven't read it but it sure looks interesting. I've seen that DC's Bombshell variant covers have been quite popular. By the way, I just read your post about Superman and it was great. You seem to be a bit of an expert in John Byrne. Anyway, I also wrote about Byrne's run in Man of Steel in my blog (wich I encourage you to visit):

www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy my review, and please feel free to leave me a comment over there or add yourself as a follower (or both), and I promise I'll reciprocate.

Cheers,

Arion.